David de Gea
|Full name||David de Gea Quintana|
|Date of birth||7 November 1990|
|Place of birth||Madrid, Spain|
|Height||1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|2008–2009||Atlético Madrid B||35||(0)|
David de Gea Quintana ( born 7 November 1990) is a Spanish professional footballerwho plays as a goalkeeper for Premier League club Manchester United and the Spain national team.
Born in Madrid, De Gea began his career aged 13 with Atlético Madrid and rose through the academy system at the club before making his senior debut in 2009. After being made Atlético’s first-choice goalkeeper, he helped the team win both the UEFA Europa League and the UEFA Super Cup in 2010. His performances attracted the attention of Manchester United, which he joined in June 2011 for £18.9 million, a British record for a goalkeeper at the time.
Since joining United, De Gea has made over 300 appearances and won a Premier League title, an FA Cup, a League Cup, three Community Shields and the UEFA Europa League. For three consecutive seasons from 2013–14 to 2015–16, he was elected as United’s Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year, the first player in the award’s history to win on three successive occasions. In 2018 he was named in the FIFA World XI.
De Gea was the captain for the Spain under-21 national team that won the European Championship in 2011 and 2013, and also competed in the 2012 Olympics. He made his debut for the senior team in 2014 and was selected for that year’s World Cup. He was tipped by many to become the successor to Iker Casillas as Spain’s long-term goalkeeper.
Style of play
Regarded as a highly promising prospect in his youth, De Gea soon developed into one of the best goalkeepers in the world, with some in the sport even labelling him as the current best keeper in the world. An elegant and athletic keeper, De Gea is known in particular for his outstanding reflexes, agility, and shot-stopping ability between the posts, which enable him to produce acrobatic dives and spectacular saves.He has also stood for his consistency composure,leadership,and his positional sense.Due to his slender frame, he initially struggled at defending high balls as a youngster; often punching balls away rather than holding on to them. He has since shown great improvements in his aerial prowess, handling, command of his area, decision making, and ability to come out and claim crosses, in particular after he developed physically and gained more experience.Furthermore, De Gea is highly regarded for his speed when rushing off his line in one on one situations, which also enables him to function as a sweeper-keeper. In addition to his goalkeeping abilities, De Gea possesses excellent ball control, vision, and distribution with either foot, which enables him to start attacking plays from the back.
In January 2012, De Gea was confirmed as farsighted, although this is not thought to have affected his performances.e Gea has told in an interview he is a big metal fan and has been to concerts of Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold in Manchester, which are his favourites. Also, he has met Avenged Sevenfold and gave them an edited Manchester United shirt with ‘Avenged 7X’ on the back. He has a relationship with Spanish singer Edurne.
- As of match played 6 October 2018
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Europe||Other||Total|
|Atlético Madrid B||2008–09||Segunda División B||35||0||—||—||—||—||35||0|
|Atlético Madrid||2009–10||La Liga||19||0||7||0||—||9||0||—||35||0|
|Manchester United||2011–12||Premier League||29||0||1||0||0||0||8||0||1||0||39||0|
- As of match played 11 September 2018
- UEFA Europa League: 2009–10
- UEFA Super Cup: 2010
- Premier League: 2012–13
- FA Cup: 2015–16
- EFL Cup: 2016–17
- FA Community Shield: 2011, 2013, 2016
- UEFA Europa League: 2016–17
- UEFA European Under-17 Championship: 2007
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship: 2011, 2013
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2011, 2013
- PFA Team of the Year: 2012–13 Premier League, 2014–15 Premier League,2015–16 Premier League, 2016–17 Premier League, 2017–18 Premier League
- PFA Fans’ Premier League Player of the Month: November 2014
- Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2017–18
- Manchester United Players’ Player of the Year: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2017–18
- UEFA Europa League Squad of the Season: 2015–16
- Match of the Day Save of the Season: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2017–18
- FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2018
- FIFA FIFPro World XI 2nd team: 2015
- FIFA FIFPro World XI 3rd team: 2016, 2017
- Premier League Golden Glove: 2017–18
- Manchester United profile
- David de Gea at BDFutbol
- David de Gea at Soccerbase
- David de Gea – UEFA competition record
- David de Gea – FIFA competition record